Thursday, September 24, 2009

Room B309


On Friday afternoon, Molly started getting a fever. I'm never one to rush my kids to the dr. and I didn't want to be sitting in urgent care with my 6 week old, so we just watched it. Saturday was a little worse and she was getting pretty fussy but me being the best mom ever thought it meant she would be breaking her fever soon and all would be well. Friday night and Saturday night she did not sleep well. We just stopped waking up every couple hours since she was a newborn and now with her being sick we started that up again.
Sunday morning she had a pretty high fever (101.7) I called my dr. who said to take her to the ER. I was still hesitant but when she started to get pretty pale I knew we had to go in. Again earning my 'Mother of the Year' award I decided to visit Juana first knowing I would be in the ER for a few hours. (That's right, the manager at Sonic and I are on a first name basis!)
We waited and waited until we were called back. They drew some blood, cathed her (not a fun experience), and ran tests. Then we waited, and waited some more. When I was called back they said they were starting an IV of antibiotics and were going to watch her. After some tests came back they said to grab my things and we would go to a room. I WAS NOT happy about that.
Every time a new nurse would come in they would look at Molly turn back around and say they had the wrong chart. Then they would come back in, smile, and say nope it's the right chart, she is just a BIG baby!!
I was just assuming they would give her something to make her fever come down then we would be on our merry way! BUT, her fever kept rising. (103.2) When the dr. came in he said that she had a UTI. Poor Molly. She got an ultra sound that came back normal so our spirits were high!
He said we would be there that night so I settled myself in my comfy cot and tried to get some sleep with the nurses coming in every hour and the kid in the next room screaming bloody murder.
Monday morning they were going to run another test but she had to be fever free for 24 hours. Even with Tylenol and antibiotics Molly couldn't get her fever down. I was annoyed because the dr. said if the ultra-sound came back normal the test we were waiting to take would most likely be normal as well but we were still just waiting for her fever to be gone. Knowing it was going to be awhile, my parents sat with Molly because I desperately needed a shower and see the other kiddos.
I HATE hospitals. Not that anyone loves them but I loathe the smells, needles, midnight nurses... When I came back I was clean, but still tired.
I really could count on one hand how many hours I have slept in 4 days at this point. I was TIRED. I headed down to the cafeteria to get dinner. I saw gorgeous looking coconut pies, cherry pies, and other yummy desserts, but I NEEDED chocolate. Across the way I noticed a guy grabbing a chocolate moose with whip cream. Perfect! I walked over to where he was (I might have even skipped a little) and noticed he took the last one. I bawled my brains out right then and there. This is when I realized I needed some sleep. I shuffled my feet back to Molly's room and plopped down on my 'oh so comfy' cot and I think fell asleep. Watching Molly's demeanor change through the night, I realized she was getting better. At 2:30am Molly's fever broke. She was finally looking like her happy chubby little self! I would've preferred her fever break at a little more convenient time for me but I was still happy!
Tuesday we waited to hear from the dr. and then ran the other tests. We went to radiology to get some x-rays and get some dye in her bladder to see where her urine was going. This is where it gets interesting. The radiologist said they could see instantly where the dye was going but the x-rays we would need to wait a little bit on. So he told me she has Reflux on both of her kidneys. (basically she pees up, not down.) It sucks but can be fixed with antibiotics taken for a year. I was sad but was happy that I knew what the problem was.
When the dr. came in with the x-rays and other test results I was not expecting to hear what he had to say. He drew me a picture of what kidney's should look like and then what hers looks like. Needless to say she needs surgery. I know she doesn't have cancer or any life threatening problem. I know people are in the hospital months on end, so I KNOW it could be worse. However, this is my Molly. I don't want anything to happen to her.
We were discharged and came home. Still apparently tired because I cried in Princess Protection Program which 1. is a Disney show and 2. I have seen 1000 times!
Hopefully in the next few days we will know more about Molly's situation!

20 comments:

Tim said...

We'll pray for little (big) Molly. She is adorable, by the way.

Kirsten said...

So sad. please keep us updated. we'll pray for her too.

Kim L. said...

It's just not right to have to do ANYTHING like that to a sweet little baby. I am so sorry you guys are dealing with this, but thank heavens it is something that can be fixed. We'll be praying for you guys!

Cindy said...

Any baby being sick is horrible, but when it is your's, it us unbearable. I am glad you are home and Molly is doing better. Please call with any updates. I'm thinking about you friend.

BandHGardner said...

Oh poor, sweet baby! She'll be in our prayers. I wish I were there to help watch your children so you can get some sleep. Too bad the thought doesn't count in this case! Get well, Molly. Get some sleep, Tricia!

Brian said...

A little sarcasm about the 'comfy cot'? The pic of her in the x-ray machine, or whatever million dollar machine that is, is SO SO sad! Also, you don't need to categorize your sadness. Yes, 99.9% of the time situations COULD be worse, but it IS your baby and it's devastating to see her suffer. Any rational person would understand that!!! She is so cute!

Sarah Hull said...

I love you! I am sorry. It's SO tough to have a baby go through that.
Was the procedure that she had done with the dye called a VCUG? Katie has those two times a year. It's not the funnest thing. Also, is the surgery she needs called reflux surgery? If so, let's talk. I have stories. all good.
love you my friend. You are in my thoughts and prayers SO much!
p.s. what meds do they have you on right now?
I can talk the kidney/bladder talk with the best of 'em.

p.s. does this mean you're not going to surprise me at the cowboy party with your chaps on???

carmen said...

Oh. So sorry to hear about your little Molly. You are a great mom, though, and I'm sure Molly will be fine, although a little inconvenient, it's good that it's fixable. It's hard to not be upset - it's YOUR baby, and you've got the rest of your family to take care of!! I get that way, too, sometimes. I realize things could be worse, but it always seems like such a big deal when it's happening to you on top of everything else that you already have goin on. It's normal - YOU'RE NORMAL!! That cute little babe of yours will be in our thoughts and prayers. LOVE YA!

carmen said...

P.S.
I LOVE YOUR PHOTOS!

Matt and Megan said...

Trish we will keep you in our prayers. It is hard when it is your little one that is sick. When Mason was is the NICU he was probably the healthiest baby there so I felt guilty for it. But he was still mine and he was still sick. Your Molly is beautiful, she is in our prayers.

Sheri said...

In that first picture she looks like James.

It's so sad to have a sick child. You are in our prayers. We love you!

Brian said...

Sheri, that first pic is of feet. I wasn't aware that you were so familiar with how James's feet looked as a newborn!?!? WOW, good memory.

Trina said...

Oh man, I just cant stop thinking about you guyz!! Poor sweet little babe!!

top knot extensions said...

Thats so sad...but you are right at least its not life threatning

Sheri said...

Brian - I meant the first picture of her face - you big dork.

Brian said...

I know what you meant Scary! That's what makes it funny!

Tricia, how are you able to take such cute pics IN the hospital, going on no sleep, worried about your baby?? That's crazy!!!

Crazy Momma said...

I'm so sorry, I hope you get good news soon. I know how that can feel.... I took Shea to the Pediatric ER when she was 4 weeks old, had been vomiting for 3 days and her soft spot sunk in. After 24 hours and numerus tests she was sent to surgery. So in the ped-icu my 1st baby, 4 weeks old was recovering from stomic surgery. She had pyloric stenosis. We made it through and I know how strong you are and I KNOW YOU WILL MAKE IT THROUGH TOO! I'm so proud of you for sharing this and letting us all pray for you and Molly. Sending lots of love across the miles. Love you,
Angie

Becca said...

Tricia - I am so sorry! There is nothing worse than having to worry for your children health and safety! We have been praying for you. I had a client who had the same kidney problem (although she didn't have surgery). She was on antibiotics for a year+ and the doctor discouraged her from being potty trained until she was 4 but she is 2, potty trained, and Mom reported that it never affected her life aside from the occasional UTI. Good luck and keep us posted.

RegaNater said...

oh my gosh, that is so sad. Poor little Molly. Please let us know how she is doing, that breaks my heart to know that she has to have surgery. Me and Winston still can't wait to meet her. When can we come by? I texted Kristen about getting together next tuesday for sytycd.

Kris &Tiersa LeSueur said...

Oh my gosh Trish I am so sorry!! I know how you feel, Ella had a UTI when she was 4 months old and we went through the same thing with her. The cathedars are the WORST!! Let me know if you need anything!!