This pregnancy has by far been the most challenging. Not only physically but things that have happened have been frustrating. However, every frustration has been followed by a blessing or a new way of thinking. (details I'm sure will come!) The question "WHY" has been floating around in my head a lot. As I just sit back and stop trying to do it all on my own the 'why' question has been slowly answered.
I think I distance myself when I am pregnant because I think my hormones get the best of me. Just in the last few weeks I have been feeling life is too short to not let certain things go. I make my kids grow up too fast. I expect too much out of them and have been feeling guilty. I already look at home videos of when James was about 2 and think I could've done so much better, been so much nicer. Not cared that my house was dirty or stressed over trivial things. I have looked at relationships that I have or had that I could('ve) put more effort in, been less judgmental, more supportive, less selfish. So be patient with me... I'll come around!
"Life is too short"
"You don't know what you have 'til it's gone"
"When one door closes another one opens"
"On the Lords time"
"Everything happens for a reason"
I have contemplated these quotes a lot in the last few hours. Feeling extremely guilty and selfish that all I can think about is getting this baby out. Thinking its a perfect weekend for me and not even thinking about the Lords time line. I have had several situations in my life that I should never doubt that things happen for a reason... yet I still do. And for that I feel guilty.
This morning we got a call from my brother saying that my dad had collapsed playing basketball. Jared immediately left. I called my mom, loaded the kids up and headed over myself. Before we got to where he was playing he was being taken to the ER. My dad had a heart attack playing basketball. When he collapsed someone immediately started CPR. When the paramedics got there they told us had he not received CPR he would not be with us. That makes me think my dad making the decision to wake up and play basketball was a blessing. Had he been at home or work possibly no one would have seen him or known CPR. They had to shock him a few times which left him without oxygen for some time. He was not conscious or breathing on his own when he got to the hospital. The nurses told us he could hear us but I couldn't think of anything to say. I couldn't say I'm sorry for not being a perfect child, sorry I have been distant, sorry I always ask for mom when I call, sorry I never told you how appreciative I am of the things you do for me, and finally how much I love you.
I froze.
After waiting in the waiting room for awhile the doctors told us what the problem was. One of his artery's was 99% blocked. Meaning, he was a walking time bomb. Another one of his artery's is 80% blocked and his kidneys are failing. They reassure us that he is beyond 'lucky' to be alive and that he was by someone who knew good CPR within seconds. I personally don't think it was luck. When we were finally able to see him he didn't look like himself or talk like himself. He can't remember much and keeps asking the same question "what happened" over and over and over. Finally I have been telling him he dunked the basketball! He keeps telling me I'm lying so at least he is able to joke a little. He is still having irregular heart beats and not remembering things but is starting to sound better then he did when he first arrived.
I am thankful that every so often I am faced with a situation that makes me come down from my 'wo is me' way of thinking. I guess I need a good kick in the rear end every now and then!
So peanut... you can wait. I will be ready for you whenever you decide to come!
It will be a long recovery so please keep my dad in your prayers.
21 comments:
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Tricia... you're doing great as a mom, wife, and friend! Don't you forget it! Remember... I had James in my class. :) I totally get the thoughts that are racing through your head. Been thinking many of the same thoughts since Richard's health scare last year. Keep up the positive thoughts!
I too am so sorry to hear about your dad. Your family will be in our prayers.
Your words resonate with me more than you know. I have a tendency to be judgmental. I have a tendency to expect more of Joe, more of Kim, than I'm willing to do myself. You are right, life IS too short. I don't know why, but ever since I heard the news this morning I have been in a funk all day. Maybe it's the mortality thing rearing its head?
All I know for sure is that after reading what you had to write, I know that your dad is alive for a reason. It's not a coincidence that he was where he was, with who he was. I LOVED the dunking the basketball line. It's classic you. I'm so sorry that this happened but I'm glad to hear that he is doing better. Things happen for a reason right? I know that out of this great things will come and people will feel a little differently about life when they go to bed tonight as opposed to when they woke up this morning. I know I will. Your dad will be in my prayers as will you and your family. He needs to meet his granddaughter. That's a blessing.
Sorry this is so long. It's just affected me a lot today. If you guys need anything, please let us know.
Also, anyone want to take a CPR class as a family? It would be a good idea.
This post really hit home for me. Thanks for the thoughts.
I really hope your dad gets well soon. I'm so glad the Lord was looking out for him. Your family will be in my prayers.
This was a beautiful post Tricia. I am so sorry to hear about your dad though. My goodness, what a shock! I can't imagine waking up hoping you'd be in the hospital that evening for yourself and ending up being there for a totally different reason. That's so tough.
Don't beat yourself up. You are one amazing gal! You do SO MUCH for your family and for those around you!
Love you lots! You all will be our prayers.
So So Sorry Tricia. I'm glad he is going to be o.k. He is still here for a reason. I will keep you all in our prayers and you need to stop beating up on yourself. You are a wonderful mother, a wife, and a friend. Sometimes we all feel that way though. Hang in there!! Good luck on your delivery. I hope everything goes well. I really need to come see you and your kidlins sometime. Oh and your beautiful house. It looks adorable. love ya~~
You are definitely in my thoughts & prayers Tricia.
So now I'm crying...I also find myself getting caught up in the "daily grind" and not appreciating my children or my husband or just life in general.
I have been thinking about you alot. You and your family are in our prayers and PLEASE call me if you need anything. Please.
Wow Tricia. So sorry this happened! But, as we talked about in Sunday School today, and as you said, sometimes things like this are blessings indeed for all involved. How scary if he would have been alone when it happened. At least you know more now and can really try to live richer and enjoy more.
A great reminder indeed. Thanks for sharing. Your family will certainly be in our prayers. Let us know if there's anyway we can help!
We will sure keep your daddy in our prayers, he is a great guy and you are a great person. Thanks for your post, those quotes are awesome. Ale
heartbreaking. he'll be in our prayers.
I'm sorry to hear about this but glad everything is ok now. Good luck with the baby. I'll be thinking about ya!
oh my gosh tricia! that is so scary. He will be in our prayers. Please keep us updated on how he is doing. If you need anything (dinner, baby sitting) please let me know how I can help.
Wow, I'm so sorry about your Dad, that is crazy! Glad he is doing better and is still with us. I've always loved your parents, let them know we'll be thinking of them.
Tricia, I am so shocked and upset to hear about your dad. I hate being so far away - I feel helpless to do anything. I love your parents both so much - they have always held a special place in my heart. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I'm sure you are doing a wonderful job as a mom - I think we all go through times when we feel inadequate. If you didn't worry about it, then you probably wouldn't be a great mom. Because you care so much, shows that you are a great mom and that you are doing a great job with your kids. I love you, Tricia and your family. I hope you are all doing well. Best wishes for you and your new little "peanut!"
Your family is always in our prayers. I am glad you posted this- I think it makes people want to make each day count and lead a good life. Please let me know if you need help with the children/housework or whatever.
He is definitely in our thoughts and prayers along with your whole family. You have some serious insight and I couldn't agree more with so much of what you said. Thanks for reminding me to slow down and enjoy this little ride because I was getting lost in the trivial things.
You give yourself far too little credit! You are amazing... and are and will be a great mom to all those little kids. Don't forget to only run as fast as you have strength to :0 theres a time and season for everything. Right now your making a human!!!
WOW! We will keep your dad AND you in our prayers. LOVE YA!
I am so sorry to hear about your Dad and hope that his recovery goes well! You shouldn't feel guilty about what you were thinking.. Nobody wants to be 9 months pregnant in an oven for long.
Post a Comment