Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July

We have been up in the air as to how to spend this years' 4th of July. The kids voted and decided on camping. Growing up we went camping quite often. I remembered loving it in my youth. As my mind drifted back to our last vacation (Aruba) I knew this was going to be different... a lot different. I have to say I was the least excited about the upcoming outdoor adventure for several reasons...
1. Constantly smelling of OFF, B.O., and DIRT
2. I hate when my face and feet are dirty.
3. Sleeping on a double air mattress when I am used to Cali King
4. Packing camping equipment and food. There is so much that you need to bring when not staying in a place with already prepared amenities!
5. Squatting when I pee
6. Dirt and bugs

I guess Jared could sense my stress so he came home with 44oz of my favorite medicine; Dr.Pepper. As I guzzled all of the drink to calm myself we loaded up the car and headed out.
Things were going well, we went down Bush Hwy which seems to be every one's favorite road now because of all the "bumps". Emmy kept her hands up like we were on a roller coaster the whole time. When the road got boring and we couldn't play ISPY anymore because it was the SAME scenery over and over again, the kids turned on a movie, I put my "road trip" tunes in my ears, and Jared found that one magic spot in the passenger side seat that always makes him fall asleep.
When we were getting close to Young Road where we were going to camp it started to pour rain the size of grapefruits on our window. This is when I (in my nicest sweetest voice) reminded Jared for the 50th time that we need new windshield wipers! We found a spot to camp then stayed in the car until it was just drizzling. We set up camp and started our little excursion. Helping set up the tent was exhausting for Emmy! The kids were searching for firewood while Jared used the dullest hatchet to cut logs! Anna and Emmy didn't waste anytime collecting rocks, pine cones, and different kinds of bugs. They let James hold SPIKE for a little bit. I didn't have the heart to tell Anna that the beautiful butterfly she was holding in her hand, and wasn't flying away because she insisted that it like her, was indeed dead. We made a fire, played croquet and just enjoyed each others company. Could it be? Was I really enjoying myself?
When it was dark, we got ready for bed, played a few games of UNO by the flashlight, and went to bed.
We woke up, to my surprise a still filled air mattress!!! I feel like the last few times I have been camping or slept on an air mattress it was flat by morning. "My need to go potty" Dibs not it I cried. As Jared took Emmy potty, he yelled "help!" As he was holding Emmy in mid air, he said his back went out. He rested awhile while the kids and I played games and loaded up. Jared insisted that we stay and still go "fishing" because he promised James "he" would take him. We knew we weren't going to catch anything maybe even hoping a little but we were there for the experience. We "fished" for maybe an hour and headed to the Lambson Lodge. It isn't done yet but we could still camp there.
I thought we should go home because of Jared's back but he insisted we stay. Ironically, he said this as I am carrying our luggage and bedding up the stairs with Emmy attached to my leg. To my surprise and delight Jim just hooked up the water heater to the showers in the cabin so I did get to take a hot shower!
We took another vote to see who wanted to fight the 4th of July crowds in town, probably get rained out, not get a good seat for fireworks, or who wanted to ride 4wheelers and play games at the cabin. So I emphasized staying at the cabin. woopTdoo! We stayed at the cabin! Karen and I were prepared with Dilly Bars, (Karens new love and apparently tastes just as good with a little dirt on it) glow sticks, poppers and glow worms. We were all happy. Jim wanted to take the kids to see fireworks so we (minus Mr. Cripple) just went up the road and watched fireworks.
James really wanted to sleep "under the stars" so I decided I would too. Jared took the girls inside the camping trailer and I grabbed the air mattress a little too excited to not have to share. Judging by the amount of bugs surrounding the area I told James I was going to be sleeping right inside. He could even see me from where he was sleeping. About 30sec of that and he was in bed with me! It was okay because I haven't got to really snuggle with him in awhile.
When we woke up we ate breakfast and then worked. I worked for a few hours painting and other little jobs around the cabin while Jared and the kids played games and 4wheeled! jk I didn't really care I actually like painting (ie: painting my main room 3x in 1 yr.) We ate lunch, loaded up and then headed home. As we entered town I got more of my favorite medicine, the kids found a movie, and Jared found that magic spot in the front seat!
Now, as I look back as this weekends adventures I have a new attitude toward camping.
1. Dirt comes off
2. Watching my kids being around each other, and liking it!
3. Going camping with our little family in one tent. "My love sleepovers" Emmy said.
4. Fresh Air/Beautiful Scenery
5. 4wheeler rides
6. Watching Emmy and James bond.
This one was big for me. Emmy has ALWAYS just been drawn to Anna. After watching James help Emmy find bugs, get dirty, lock her in her seat, and just play with her was so nice to see. When James tries to help, Emmy just says no NAN do it. I think deep down it hurts James' feelings. Now she lets them both.

If I encourage this relationship hopefully James will be okay with our little family AS IS and stop asking for a brother!!! If that plan works this indeed was a very fun/effective vacation!

12 comments:

Sheri said...

MY MOM NEGLECTED TO TELL ME ABOUT THE DILLY BARS!

O.k., now that I got that out, it looks like you had fun. I am a bit jealous.

P.S. i think James does need a brother!

Cara said...

Where is the Lambson Lodge. They should have built it in Pinedale. Looks like your 4th was way more fun then ours. We did nothing. The boys get home Thurs. you guys need to come over.

Brian said...

Now I'm wishing that we would have gone. No offense Sheri, but rain and Dilly Bars! And the best part? No stupid Chandler fireworks. They are the worst!!! And Yes, T, dirt does come off!

Alisa said...

Holy huge cabin. Glad you guys had fun.

Leslie said...

Camping is so great! The kids are so sweet. I loved that post.

Sarah Hull said...

I was cracking up the whole time just picturing you camping. I love your camping experience and am very glad it went well.
Accidently I am sitting in a huge beach house right now on a family vacation grateful that they decided on this and not camping!

Kim said...

We were going to go. I'm sad now that we didn't. I actually love camping(not the packing for the trip part).

I remember loving Bush highway as a kid. My dad would always speed up for those dips in the road. he knew how to get the butterflies going.

I love the picture of Emmy asleep in the chair - awesome. I also like the "fishing" pictures.

Croquet in the woods - how fun! (Joe is super envious as he is reading this over my shoulder).

Poor Jared, how is his back doing?

Joe has been asking for a brother for years - maybe James and Joe could be honorary brothers. What do you think?

Lexi said...

I'm glad it was fun after all! Maybe I will give camping another try one day!

Marci said...

I am glad we are still friends, even though you are mad at me for not calling you back. I really am sorry about that. I said I was going to be your blog friend because you seem to have enough of those and I am not one to fight for attention but, I guess I will still try! jk

Courtney said...

Tricia, I have those same feelings about camping everytime we start planning to go...I kind of feel sick to my stomach, like right before a test and think, "Am I really going to be able to remember everything for everyone?" However, it usually turns out just fine and I am always glad we did it. How is your training going? Did 10 miles on Saturday and am doing 10 again tomorrow...it was painful so I am not looking forward to this. I'm really considering an iPod so I can load up my "happy tunes" to help me on these longer runs. Got some encouragement for me?? We are running 14 miles this weekend...YIKES!!!

Stuart Family said...

Hey where is this lodge at??If it's close to Hever I'm going to be mad.We were in Heber all weekend. Next time let me know and we can get together.

Tara L. Stradling said...

So there really isn't a brother on his way? Bummer... (smile

Sounds like this was a wonderful vacation. I'm in SanFran and am so in love with the weather. I can't get enough of it. I just want to be outside all the time, which is good since we walk EVERYWHERE. It's glorious!