Sunday, September 7, 2008

Running with Purpose

On Oct. 4 I am running (well trotting, skipping walking) the St. George Marathon. Yep Im that stupid!! The St. George marathon is a lottery and Jared told me to just sign up because I most likely will not get drawn. Not only DID I get drawn, Jared didn't. We were both pretty upset. He wanted to run it and I DIDN'T. I thought I was going to die after we ran the 1/2 marathon. Oh Well!!

A man I know, Jacob Zuniga, called me the other day and asked if I was running for a charity. I wasn't until now I said! Let me tell you about the Zunigas. They have 11 children.... have you caught your breath?? I have NO idea how busy they must be but I know that I love being around them. They are the family you know you can ask for any favor or help of any kind and they will be there. They are so contagious to be around. You want to be near them because they are so genuinely nice. The other day I saw one of their sons who was friends with my brother. I don't know him very well at all and I could have talked with him for hours he was so personable. Bottom line, I LOVE this family.
With all of their spare time, in 2007 they started a non-profit organization Circle of Support in honor of their adopted son, Jaron. I can't find the article on-line (computer illiterate) but I will give a brief description of how this came to be...

This is from an article in a magazine.... Ann Zuniga ( with 9 children at the time) went to Africa in 2002. Her trip to Mozambique, Africa was not about adding to their family but about mothers. A mother in Mozambique has a 1 in 10 chance in dying during childbirth. As a certified nurse midwife, Ann was qualified to help. When she was there teaching and checking supplies, she went to an orphanage and was introduced to Jaron (13months old). He was unable to sit, couldn't roll over, and didn't have enough strength or cordination to hold his head. Ann felt an immediate connection. She learned that he had been abandoned by the ocean, had no family, and suffering from a developmental disablility and would soon be diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. She left the orphanage but went back the next day. She called her husband, sent him a picture of Jaron, and said she wanted to adopt him. After months of a difficult adoption Jaron was theirs! To add to the good news, the Zunigas welcomed their 10th biological child in late 2003.

Circle of Support is a pediatric therapy center that provides special needs children with the skills they need to be happy and productive.

If you would like to sponsor me in this great cause it would be appreciated!! You can comment, email me at tricia2lam@yahoo.com for more information, or send a donation to


Circle of Support
33 N. Lindsay Rd #111
Gilbert, AZ 85234

(480) 632 2757

PS. 100% of the donations will go directly to CofS and are tax deductible as CofS qualifies as a 501(c) (3) public charity.

I couldn't be happier running for a great cause. I wish everyone had the privledge of knowing the Zuniga family.

11 comments:

Stuart Family said...

I didn't know you were a runner. When is your big run?? You are going to be so skinny and in shape that's not fair. Talk to you later.

CDR said...

I would LOVE to support you and support a great cause. You look so lovely in that picture. Is it per mile?

Unknown said...

Yes it's per mile. Some people are donating $1.00 a mile some are doing $10.00 a mile. Really its up to you. Anything helps!!

Kim said...

Tricia, you are awesome!

The Tate's said...

Wow...you cant tell those kinds of stories to a pregnant girl with out getting choked up. What a great cause and sounds like an incredible family. Good luck with the race I know you will do great!!!

Sarah Hull said...

Where is the money tree? I was just telling my grandma yesterday that I can't wait to one day be able to support all the causes that are dear to my heart. You are dear to my heart and so is this sweet story... so Keep running with a purpose and know that I am proud of you! You really are AWESOME!
p.s call me soon so we can talk. do you have the same #?

Marci said...

I love that I am leaving a comment on your blog while I am at your house. I love this post and think that is such a neat thing you are doing. Sorry I wont be there to see you but know that I am cheering you for AZ.

Cassie and Joe said...

This is Cassie Goodman, I'm Cara Johnsons sister. I'm interested in getting family pictures taken. Cara told me you were pretty busy, but to comment here and see what you say. She didn't know how much you charge. There is just 3 of us. Me, my husband and my baby. Could you let me know if you would be interested and how much you charge? You can email me at cassiejeanpenrod@yahoo or my blog address is cassiegoodman.blogspot Thanks!

Courtney said...

Oh, Tricia! That is so amazing (just like you!)!! I am so happy that you are doing this...what a wonderful cause :) Seriously, I am counting down the days til I get to see you! Phew...ran 23 today...how are we going to do 26.2???? Loved your running story about your phone :) Kids are so great!

The Wood Family said...

We love the Zuniga family as well and have already decided to make a donation to their charity! Did you know that Jaron is in our class? Isn't that exciting?! I love Jaron!

top knot extensions said...

That is so great!!! And I LOVE the bangs!!!