Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Gingerbread Houses!

I hosted a 2nd annual Gingerbread house party with Jareds fam on Sun. Saturday was spent 'joyously' cooking the gingerbread ALL DAY. Last year I made 10 large houses and 15 small ones and it didn't seem to take as long. By the time everyone got here the kids just wanted to play ( except for James and Joe) so all of the little houses went to families in the neighborhood. This year I decided to make less but I felt like I was in the kitchen longer. I kept thinking to myself, I couldn't have been this crazy last year I must have been cooking for days straight. After I made some phone calls pleading with people to bring their own houses I realized wow these houses are thick! (Note thickness in picture!!) Yep, another wonderful Tricia moment! Triciaism as we call them! One recipe is two batches. In my defence, it doesn't say that on the recipe and I only made them the one other time. I really felt bad because I called Darrel and Trina to bring their own house and it never stood up. Jared said "hey look, it's a KB home!" Sorry to KB homeowners, we just had bad luck with them! Ian and Sheri couldn't come because they were all sick, Paul didn't come because he was scared to lose a gingerbread house contest to me!!, Trina and Darrel had bad luck with their house, and I pooped out on mine. Brian and Kim tag teamed theirs. Brian unwrapped all of the candy while Kim decided where to put it. I think if we had more time they might have won, they had a ridiculous amount of candy. As fast as they were breaking out the candy we were eating though!! I did invite my neighbors Kenny and Melody and they were very into their house. They even made a reindeer out of tootsie rolls and pretzels, a cactus out of licorice, and a really creative fence with pretzels and dots. They won hands down. Even though I think we had a rough gingerbread house night I thought we all had a good laugh. Next year we are going to be SOOO prepared. (And I don't think I will invite the neighbors, they made us look bad)

11 comments:

Brian said...

Why should I comment when there was no mention of me (or any of us for that matter) on your gingerbread house post. It seems as if everyone else who was there were mentioned...hmmmm I see how it is!

Darrel said...

Um, where is the picture of our house?

Unknown said...

Brian- I don't know what you are talking about! How can I ever forget you?
Darrel- UM...REALLY???

Brian said...

Nice try Tricia...way to 'edit' real quick like. And, seriously, how COULD you forget me??? I am quite de-LICK-table...

Darrel, c'mon...it was a sad sight not worthy of remembrance.

Sheri said...

I'm sad I missed it. I'm also shocked that someone's house looked better than Kim's. Hers always is the best except for that one year when Ian did a replica of our house. We rocked it that year!

Unknown said...

In kim's defence, I don't know if Kenny's was better but, everyone was already half way done or cleaning up when Kim and Brian were starting.

Kim said...

We got there late, and didn't have time to finish. I did like the way it was going though. I'm going to finish at home and I will post it later.

Kenny's house was pretty dang cool. There was no way I was making my own reindeer out of tootsie rolls and gum. I'm not patient enough for that.

I think Darrel and Trina had already left by the time Tricia busted out the camera for pictures. That's why your tornado hit house didn't make it. Trina posted a picture on her blog though.

Courtney said...

We are having our Gingerbread House Making Party tomorrow...this makes me nervous :) Jk, we are just using graham crackers...we're cheaters, I know :)

sheena said...

Hi Tricia!! Thank you a million for the comments on my blog! You are so amazing for making your own gingerbread....I just bought the kit and it STILL didn't turn out!!

I just have a canon rebel xti and my fav lens that I own is a f1.8 50mm.

And you will love having Kristen in your ward...we worked together and she really is the sweetest girl!!

so nice to meet you!

BandHGardner said...

Looks like load of fun!

Holly

Jake and Lynn said...

Tricia! I love making gingerbread houses. Last year Jake and I made our very first homemade gingerbread house, it was fun, but I screwed up and made it way too think too. The houses turned out way cute. I don't know how you made so many, I was pooped after making and baking just one!